Dr Honghan Wu is an associate professor at Institute of Health Informatics, UCL. He is a Turing Fellow of The Alan Turing Institute, UK's national institute for data science and artificial intelligence. Dr Wu holds a PhD in Computing Science. His current research focuses on machine learning, natural language processing, knowledge graph and their applications in medicine. He co-leads Edinburgh Clinical NLP group. He also serves as an editorial board member of these journals: BMC Digital Health, BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making and Scientific Reports. For PhD opportunities, please check his UCL webpage.
Dr Huayu Zhang is a Research Fellow based in Centre for Medical Informatics, Usher Institute at the University of Edinburgh. He is working on network analysis and knowledge graph techniques for gene prioritisation.
Abul Hasan joined us in Nov 2022 as a research fellow based in Institute of Health Informatics, UCL. He is working on deep learning and clinical NLP on NIHR funded project, AIM-CISC.
Aneeta Sylolypavan is a part-time research associate based at University of Edinburgh. Aneeta works on evaluating disparities between clinicians in labelling data for training machine learning models, particularly in the context of decision making supports within Intensive Care Units.
Rowena Smith is a part-time clinical research associate based at University of Edinburgh. Rowena works on a project studying the associations between childhood adverse events and later life mental disorders. This project uses linked health datasets in Scotland including free-text clinical notes from both primary care and secondary care.
PhD candidates (co-)supervised at KnowLab
Charlotte is based in Usher Institute, University of Edinburgh. She studies antidepressant and antipsychotic drug prescribing in people with diabetes.
Farah Francis is based at Usher Institute, University of Edinburgh. She works on machine learning methods for detecting and predicting fetal hypoxia.
Jinge is based at the Institute of Health Informatics, UCL. She starts with us in January 2022, working on neural-symbolic and knowledge graph methods for modelling human diseases and predicting prognosis.
Quang is based at the Institute of Health Informatics and also Institute of Ophthalmology, UCL. He works on AI technologies for ophthalmology using both unstructured and structured Electronic Health Records.
Mohanad is based at the Institute of Health Informatics UCL. He works on predictive models of disease comorbidity using Artificial Intelligence technologies.
Feiyi is based in the University of Helsinki, funded by a joint programme with University of Edinburgh. She is working on using deep learning and NLP for translating free-text queries in to structured SQL queries. She will be doing research with us from the Feb 2023 for a period of one year.
Daqian Shi is a visiting Knowledge Graph Embedding (KGE) aims to model information in KGs into higher dimensional space. Daqian is a Ph.D. student in the Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science of the University of Trento, supervised by Prof. Fausto Giunchiglia.
- Emily Groves is an MSc student at UCL doing an internship on evaluating embedding models for chemistry ontology enrichment tasks.
- Zexi Li is an MSc student at UCL doing an internship on health data science projects.
- Yingjia Wang is an MSc student at UCL doing an internship on health data science projects.
- Tianyue Qi and Ying Gao, they both work on the project titled Reproducible machine learning based risk prediction models for cardiovascular disease. Ying focuses on the literature review and Tianyue focuses on reproducing ML models from the literature.
- Guitao Fang works on Benchmarking distributed representations for Chemistry knowledge graph. This is a collaboration with iris.ai.
- Kai Chen works on Addressing NHS Nurse Shortage with Machine Learning and Behavioural Science. This is a collaboration with Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust.-
- Zewei Shen works on Pretraining a language model on NHS A-Z corpus. This is part of the ExplainHealth project, funded by Moorfields Charity.
- Xinyi Yue works on Deriving a knowledge graph from NHS A-Z website. This is part of the ExplainHealth project, funded by Moorfields Charity.
- Eva Keller works on Analysing data embedded bias for treating cardiovascular diseases. This is a collaboration with Profs Sarah Wild and Cathie Sudlow.
- Siyuan Zhao works on Lab linkage: can we unlock research into the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria?. This is a collaboration with Royal Veterinary College.
- Qihe Wang works on Understanding reasons of patient attendance to General Practice using natural language processing and machine learning. This is a collaboration with NHS Frimley Health Foundation Trust.
- Hengrui Zhang was an MSc student at UCL (2022) and worked on deep learning models for automated coding from discharge summaries. He is now pursuing PhD opportunities.
- Yun-Hsuan Chang was an MSc student at UCL (2022) and worked on Parkinson’s Disease Modelling using mutimodal data. She is now a Clinical Informatics Lead at uMed.
- Xuezhe Wang was an MSc student at UCL (2022) and worked on graphic neural network algorithms for predicting adverse drug reactions of COVID-19 treatments. He is now a PhD student at UCL.
- Zhaolong Wu was an MSc student at UCL (2022) and worked on clinical NLP models utilising multi-documents for automating medical coding from free-text EHR data. He is now a PhD student at Hong Kong University.
- Minhong Wang was a Research Fellow at Institute of Health Informatics, UCL (2020-2022). Her research interests include applying machine learning, deep learning and natural language processing in healthcare. She worked on domain specific word embeddings and automated triage using GP referrals. She works now with HSBC.
- Alexander Dobres was a Msc student (2021) worked on knowledge graph based approaches for predicting adverse drug events of COVID-19 drugs.
- Tina Yao was a MRes student (2021) based at the Institute of Health Informatics, UCL. She worked on deep learning methods for facilitating the management of atrial fibrillation in patients with critical illnesses.
- Dr Hang Dong was working on applied machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), and data mining for phenotyping from electronic health records (2018-2021). He is now a research fellow at Oxford University.
- Menka Shah was an MSc student at Institute of Health Informatics, UCL (2021). She now works at Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust.
- Fahad Siddiqui was an Msc Institute of Health Informatics, UC (2021). He works at Kettering General Hospital.
- Dr Víctor Suárez Paniagua was a Research Fellow on machine learning (2021), with an emphasis on deep learning; now works in the industry.
- Emma Whitfield (COVID-19 Project Placement, 2020), HDR UK-Turing Wellcome PhD Programme
- Claire Coffey (COVID-19 Project Placement, 2020), HDR UK-Turing Wellcome PhD Programme
- Cheng Wan (visiting researcher 2019-2020), Nanjing Medical University
- Joesph Powell, MSc student (2020), Institute of Health Informatics, UCL
- Steven Cassady, MSc student (2019), School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
- Qianyi Zeng, MSc (2019), School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
- Wenjun Chen, MSc (2019), School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
- Quan Sun, MSc (2017), King’s College London
- Hui Wang, MSc (2017), King’s College London